Kansas City’s Therapeutic Early Education Center
When a child has experienced multiple traumatic events, early intervention is key to helping them get the care they need to heal and thrive. The Day Treatment program is our most intensive and comprehensive program, designed to treat the whole child by providing an array of therapeutic services in an early education environment.
Day Treatment serves approximately 60 children annually who are ages one to five and have faced multiple significant life challenges, such as abuse, domestic violence, neglect and separation from their parent or caregiver. This program operates year-round, and each child has an individual treatment plan and personal developmental goals. The average length of treatment is 19 months and includes approximately 95 mental health sessions and more than 1,600 hours of classroom time.
In Day Treatment, primary goals are to help children:
- Calm their body and emotions
- Make a connection with others, including both adults and peers
- Learn the skills they need to grow and thrive within their families and be ready for kindergarten
The Care Each Child Needs
Our Day Treatment Program offers:
- Early childhood education — Our educators plan and implement daily lessons which help build social-emotional and academic growth by using Teaching Strategies’ Creative Curriculum.
- Mental health therapy – Each child is assigned a therapist who meets with the child regularly. Together with the child’s family, the therapist creates a custom care plan to help the child heal from their hurts. In the most recent Caregiver Satisfaction Survey, 100% of families indicated that they feel involved in the planning and discussion of treatment goals.
- Occupational therapy – Our occupational therapist focuses on the development of motor skills through regular group sessions. Individual sessions are offered for those who need one-on-one support.
- Speech and language therapy – Our speech and language pathologist visits each classroom to offer group speech and language therapy. For those who need one-on-one support, individual sessions are provided.
- Group therapy – We offer a range of additional therapy groups, including art and music therapy for all ages and Baby Doll Circle Time and Sunshine Circles for our youngest children.
What does an average day look like?
Our children attend Day Treatment from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. Transportation is provided for all children free of charge within our geographic service area. We serve hot breakfast and lunch, prepared on-site by our staff cook, who also sends each child home with an afternoon snack pack. Every day includes large and small group activities, center time and plenty of opportunities for outdoor exploration through play. Throughout the week each child also participates in group therapy, as well as an individual play session with their therapist. Children who qualify for additional services also receive a weekly individual session with their speech/language pathologist and/or occupational therapist.